Your steam iron may have some dirt build-up onto the soleplate after using for some time. It might transfer onto your clean cloth during ironing. Here is a simple trick to clean an iron with salt.
How to Clean An Iron with Salt
- Put a layer of salt on a paper towel or a cotton towel.
- Run you iron on the salt while turning your iron on the highest setting with steam turned off.
- Unplug the iron after a couple of runs. The salt would take off the dirt, thereby leaving your iron sparkling clean.
- Wipe clean your iron plate with a soft cloth after it’s cooled
- In case there is molten plastic stuck on the sole plate, sprinkle some salt on a piece of aluminum foil and iron it. Doing so should loosen the plastic from the plate.