Have you challenged yourself to grow your own mushrooms at home? I see many gardeners grow flowers and veggies at home, but seldom see anybody grow their own mushrooms.
Growing mushrooms sounds challenging, but it is actually quite simple. It is even simpler than growing many other vegetables. In this tutorial, we will share with you How To Grow Mushrooms At Home using the example of the common white button mushrooms.
What you will need are
- A 2ft x 3ft growing tray which is approximately 6-8 inches deep. A different size works too.
- Compost. Mushroom Compost is made from a mix of well rotted materials such as hay, straw, straw horse bedding, poultry litter, cottonseed meal, cocoa shells, coffee grounds, and gypsum. Sphagnum moss peat is then added to this so as to provide a consistent product. Keep in mind that it may well be easier to buy pre-made compost!
- Mushroom spawn. You can get it on-line or from good plant retailers.
- Peat moss
- A piece of wood or flat object
- A water mister
- Some old newspapers
- Step by step directions from Gardening Tips