Having a tipi, a.k.a. teepee, in your backyard or play room is a great plus. Kids just love it. They hide in it; they play around it; they read in it. It is so much fun and is just like a mini vacation at home.
With some basic sewing skills you can make your own tipi for kids. There are many different ways you can make a tipi. For a basic one, what you need are
- Five 10-foot bamboo poles
- 3 yards of 3/8-inch sisal rope
- 15 yards of weather-resistant fabric. Regular fabric is good enough for just indoor use.
- Sewing machine
How To Make A Tipi For Kids
- On a flat surface in your yard or room, measure out a rectangle that’s 81 inches by 59 inches.
- Place four bamboo poles upright, one at each corner of this rectangle.
- Place pole 5 between 2 back poles for stability.
- Tether the 5 poles with the sisal rope.
- Wrap the poles with the fabric
To make your tipi more fancy, you can layer the fabric for more lovely patterns like the one shown here…