Winter weather can be harsh on your skin. The freezing temperatures and cold, dry air can dull your skin, dry it out, and irritate it. Luckily, you can help your skin stay hydrated and beautiful with some smart skincare products and techniques. Here are eight ways to keep your skin healthy throughout the winter so that your skin maintains a healthy glow year round:
- Hydrate your skin with a gentle, non-alcohol based hydrating mask to retain water and firmness.
- Moisturize your skin to balance, brighten, repair, and hydrate your skin. For dry skin, use a night cream fortified with growth factors. For sensitive skin, use moisturizer with Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and hyaluronic acid. For oily skin, use an oil-free moisturizer with algae and vitamin E, and all skin can use alpha hydroxyl acids to thicken skin and retain water.
- Cleanse your skin with a cleansing brush that will remove excess dirt and oils to help absorb your medications and products more effectively.
- Exfoliate gently with a facial scrub that exfoliates without causing too much dryness and that moisturizes during exfoliation.
- Use sunscreen daily to block wrinkles, brown spots, and melanoma-causing rays.
- Bathe briefly in lukewarm water using moisturizing soaps and lotions to prevent skin from drying out.
- Drink water throughout the day and after eating salty foods to moisturize your body and skin. Men should drink about three liters of water daily, while women should drink 2.2 liters daily.
- Eat fresh fruits and veggies with high water content to hydrate your skin. Some examples of water-rich produce are apples, strawberries, watermelon, broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower.
By using the right skincare techniques and products, you can fight off the rough winter weather so that your skin stays healthy, hydrated, and radiant until summer.
Ingrid’s makeup routine and winter skincare tips